Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Performing Arts Center's Journey to Scotland

Follow the adventures of the Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Performing Arts Center's Journey to Scotland and the 2011 Fringe Festival.

We will post updates as we prepare on this once in a lifetime experience for cast and crew.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Thoughts from NPAC member: Nathaniel Hedin

Tuesday morning i awoke to a call from work. After fumbling around with my phone that I hadnt used for 2 weeks I finally answered and proceded to have a conversation saying that I had to come in to work the next day. After I hung up, I looked around my room and took a deep sigh of depression realizing that it was all over. I was expecting to wake up in Scotland but the journey was over and it was time to go back to my regular life. 


It was a depressing slow day but remembering what I got out of that once in a life time experience helped me pick myself up and start planning for my future. This trip was more then i could've dreamed of for the end of my journey with NPAC. I joined my 8th grade year so this was the end of a six year run for me. Throughout those six years I grew and learned things I know I couldnt have gotten anywhere else or in any other program. it built my character, work ethic, responsibility and leadership traits, social and speech skills, all the skills and more that people should have in life, but most importantly NPAC gave me a family. 


NPAC gave me somewhere that I could be myself and do what i enjoyed without being ridiculed and harassed. It was my happy place, somewhere I could get away from the long tormenting prison known as school. 


Being in NPAC has been the best thing that has happend in my life. this trip to Scotland was a life changing experience beyond compare but i could've lived without it because it was nothing compared to my experience of living my life as a part of this NPAC family for six years. To me that is the experience that kids should get. That is the experience that I wish all the students joining the program and currently in the program will get. 


This trip to Scotland helped me realize how much NPAC really meant to me and how much it could mean for the next generation. It is gonna be a slow and hard process trying to leave this program and i wish i could stay with the program forever but I'm planning to get married in less then a year and I need to go to college and get a job to support my new life.  Without NPAC and this trip to Scotland i would have no direction of what to do in my life. 


Being up in Scotland at the Fringe showed me how much I love the performing arts. i know i dont have a future as a singer or dancer but I love performing and even though my heart is off beat i got the rythm and passion for playing the drums so that is what im going to pursue in my life. 


Thank you to all our supporters for helping us get to Scotland to represent Hawaii and the United States. We could'nt have made it without your support.  Also special thanks to all the familys and students of NPAC for helping with the 50 performances in our Journey to Scotland. That was draining and hard work to do with no reward of going with us to scotland. I wish we couldve taken all of you. 


A most important and special thank you to Uncle Roy and Uncle Glenn from PBS Hawaii for going with us and documenting our trip to Scotland. We were so busy getting everything we could out of our time up there that not all of it sunk in, especially since we were all still jet lag thru the 4 days in london, so having it documented is a blessing to help us forever remember our adventures up there. It was also a blessing that we got to add 2 new members to our family and that you guys got to enjoy this journey with us in Scotland. you guys will always be a part of our family. 


Now finally the most importan person to thank.  He built this program and has kept it going as the heart and the only constant driving factor in the program, our director and father, Mr. Robin Kitsu.  Without Mr. Kitsu we would'nt have no NPAC family and no Scotland. He put in more work then anyone else to get us to Scotland and even after we got to Scotland he still had done work to suprise us up there to make our experience even more amazing. I owe Mr. my life, he has been the biggest influence and father figure in my life. There is no one I look up to more then him and there never will be. 


Shortly after I joined the program my parents got a divorce so Mr. Kitsu was the only father figure I had and I saw him more then my actual father. I always tried to do the best I could in the program to meet Kitsu's approval. I wanted to live up to his expectations of me so I could make him proud knowing that his teaching and influence changed my life. Thank you Mr. Kitsu for the greatest six years of my life, six years with NPAC.  Also a special thank you to Chloe and Michele Kitsu for supporting Mr. and being the backbone of the progam.  You guys have been so important in the success of the program and I am so grateful for the Kitsu family. 
With that finally said, I learned that dreams can come true so "dont step on them" lol ^-^ "khattam-shud"

No comments:

Post a Comment