Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Performing Arts Center's Journey to Scotland

Follow the adventures of the Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Performing Arts Center's Journey to Scotland and the 2011 Fringe Festival.

We will post updates as we prepare on this once in a lifetime experience for cast and crew.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Thoughts from NPAC member: Deja Ceruti

There is still a pinch of sadness within me when I look out my car window onto the beautiful scenery which is Hawaii. I can't help but miss the beautiful castles towering over my bedroom window or the sound of performers gracing the royal mile with their talent. It is still hard to believe that just a couple days ago, I was performing at the most prestigeous festival in the world, the Edinburgh Fringe. Now that we are back home, the memory of our journey has not ceased to linger in the back of my mind. 


I remmeber two weeks ago stepping off the plane in Heathrow, filled with an immense excitment, not only because the turbulance had driven me to air sickness, but because it had finally hit me that i was involved in something most people could only ever dream of. 


I think back on our 1st tour of london and how awestruck we were by the architecture of the buildings. The sights of chimneys had us nearly out of our seats and our tour guide in total confusion over why we were so interested. I can still feel the smile on my face and the joy inside of me when I heard the ring of Big Ben. It was an out of body experience that I knew I would cherish forever. 


Then, the screams of the cast when we had been suprised with tickets to see the musical, "Wicked". The sobs heard after the curtains closed on Blood Brothers. And the high-fives exchanged after our Jersey Boys performed their medley outside of the theatre where we saw "Jersey boys". 


In Scotland we were greeted by the melodramatic sound of bagpipes and the cold Scottish air. The hour finally came for the NPAC to meet the Royal Mile where we were struck with complete silence, absorbing all that was happening around us. I still recall saying that it was the most incredible thing i've ever seen. I felt as if id belonged to something only a lucky few could. 


I couldnt help but shed a tear after our first performance because I knew that the clock was quickly ticking down on our journey. I know I will never forget all of the awesome nicknames we came up with for the workers on campus and at the cafe store;) it had finally hit me that I was missing home after I completed my "happy dance" because we'd discovered they sold saimin. Although we had been having so much fun, a huge part of us couldnt help but miss Hawaii. 


The hour had come for us to say goodbye and, I wont lie, crying like a baby seems like an appropriate way to describe what myself and a few other cast member were doing. We had realized that all that we had worked for, this experience we shared had come to a quick end. I can speak for everyone in the cast when I say that this trip hasn't ended us, but opened up much more doors and opportunities to do so much more, not only in NPAC, but in life. 


I would like to thank every single last person who contributed to the NPAC and our journey. It is all because of you that we have had such a beautiful experience. I cannot say thank you enough for all that you have done. MAHALO! Or as they say in the UK, CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment