Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Performing Arts Center's Journey to Scotland

Follow the adventures of the Nanakuli High and Intermediate School Performing Arts Center's Journey to Scotland and the 2011 Fringe Festival.

We will post updates as we prepare on this once in a lifetime experience for cast and crew.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Thoughts from NPAC member: Susan Bowyer

Whirlwind would be the only way to properly describe what the past year has been for both NPAC and myself. Never did I imagine when I first joined in 7th grade that I would get to travel halfway across the world with my favorite people to do what we love, perform. 


As I come to the end of my personal journey with NPAC I could not have wished or prayed for a better ending. I am enormously lucky to have gone on this trip and there are so many people to thank and recognize. The sites, smells, and places we have experienced are once in a lifetime memories. From historical sites like Stonehenge,Winchester Cathedral, Big Ben, Castles. To the wonders of the theatre world,we got the warmth and love of Loretta Ablyss Sayre, the talent and "beauty" of the cast of South Pacific, the generosity of Wayne Rapozo, and the amazing feeling of meeting kids from across the country who are just like us thanks to the staff of AHSTF. 


Nothing I write can fully help anyone understand just what we have been through and how amazing it was. Like Mr. always said " It's a bond, no one else will understand." Yet I hope all our writings can give you a glimpse of how much the kids from Nanakuli learned from this trip. Not only did we learn historical facts, or theatre tips I think we all learned something about ourselves.Most importantly I learned the power of generosity not just from those who donated to our trip but within NPAC. 


On this trip the little things made me realize how amazing everyone really is. The random acts of kindness from one NPAC member to another showed me why we are such a big family. Everyone helps one another from sharing gloves, to buying someone a snack and more. People's generosity is how we got to Scotland and is what we continued while we were there. 


As a group we learned once again that not everyone is like us, but to always welcome them with Aloha regardless. 


First thanks to the cast for pulling out an amazing show. With Under The Influence we proved to the world and ourselves that we are actually good and no matter what anyone says back home we can be and do something amazing being from Nanakuli or Waianae doesn't matter. What we put into this is what we got from it and don't let anyone take that away from you. 


The alumni staff thank you for all the guidance and mentorship you have given us students the past years and on this trip. Your coming back means so much to us and to me. Nikita, thank you for being my role model on stage and off you don't realize how much you have helped me through the years. Tali, Mijo, Andrew, Chelsea, Brandon, Shannon, and Nathaniel thank you for all your advice and strength. 


A HUGE thanks to the supporters of NPAC your time, energy, and money has changed our lives thank you so much. I will always remember this trip and what it did for me without you I would be a different person. 


To Roy ,Glenn, and everyone at PBS, thank you for thinking NPACs story important enough to tell. You don't realize how much it means to us. Glenn and Roy your laughter, generosity, and constant help was more than I ever expected. I never thought that NPAC would gain to new family members so quickly but we did and you will forever be apart of us. 


Lastly thanks to the Kitsu family Mr., Michelle, and Chloe. Your hard work and sacrifices have helped to change hundreds of kids lives. Everyone who has been in the program has come of better because of you all. Personally thank you Mr.Kitsu for teaching me that nothing is impossible to never give up and for just giving me place to grow. What you have taught me is irreplaceable. I am rambling now but I will leave with this. " Theatre people are the best people in the world!"

No comments:

Post a Comment